He has been Assistant Professor Doctor in the Department of Social Anthropology of the UCM and, from 2009 to 2011, Assistant Professor in the Chair of Sociology of Religion and Culture of the University of Bayreuth (Germany). He is currently Associated Professor of the Department of Sociology and Director of the Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at the University of Minnesota (USA). His recent works tackle the theory and methodology of research on social memory and collective identities, and in particular visual culture, commemorations and the transnationalization of the memory of the Holocaust. He has also worked on testimonies and oral history and on anti-Semitism in Spain.
Between his subjects of investigation and specialization they emphasize: the studies on the memory; studies on the Holocaust and Genocide; anti-Semitism; the globalization; the Sociology of the media; qualitative methods; and Audiovisual Sociology, among others.
- Memory and Forgetting in the Post-Holocaust Era. The Ethics of Never Again. Baer, Alejandro, Natan Sznaider, Routledge, Co-Author, 2017
- “Antigona in Leon. The Drama of Trauma Politics,” con Natan Sznaider. 2016. Routledge International Handbook of Memory Studies. London: Routledge.
- “Ghosts of the Holocaust in Franco’s Mass Graves. Cosmopolitan Memories and the Politics of Never Again,” con Natan Sznaider. 2015. Memory Studies 5(2): 1-17.
- “Visuelle Soziologie,” Soziale Welt co-edited con Bernt Schnettler. 2013. Soziale Welt64(1-2): 7-15.
- “The Blind Spots of Secularization. A Qualitative Approach to the Study of Antisemitism in Spain,” with Paula López. 2012. Special Issue of European Societies 14(2):1-19.
- “Holocaust Memory as Knowledge Network: Between Global Community of Values and Universal Symbolic Culture,” with Bernt Schnettler. 2012. Pp. 633-648 in Transnationale Vergesellschaftungen,Verhandlungen des 35. Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Soziologie in Frankfurt 2010, edited by H.G. Soeffner. Wiesbaden: VS-Verlag. German.
- “The Voids of Sepharad. The Memory of the Holocaust in Spain.” 2011. Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies. 12(1):95-120.
- “Anthropology & Human Rights.” 2010. Special Issue of Revista de Antropologia Social, edited with M.J. Devillard. Spanish.
- “Digital Memory: The Visual Recording of Mass Grave Exhumations in Contemporary Spain,” with F. Ferrandiz. 2008. Forum Qualitative Social Research 9(3).
- Holocaust: Remembrance and Representation. 2006. Madrid: Losada. Spanish.
- Audio-visual Testimony. Image & Memory of the Holocaust. 2005. Madrid: Centro de Investigaciones Sociologicas. Spanish.